Number of deaths from Myanmar earthquake rises - as US aid workers 'laid off' after arriving to help

The number of deaths from last week's earthquake in Myanmar has risen to 3,354, as UN agencies and foreign donors continue to ramp up the emergency response.

Amid rescue and recovery efforts, a former US government worker has said three of the country's aid workers have lost their jobs - saying they were informed after landing in Myanmar.

The 7.7 magnitude quake caused significant damage across six regions, including the capital Naypyitaw, with damage to roads and bridges making it difficult to asses the extent of the devastation.

The disaster worsened the country's already dire humanitarian crisis, caused by the civil war which has displaced more than 3 million people, according to the United Nations.

The state-run Global New Light of Myanmar newspaper today reported the number of deaths from last Friday's quake has reached 3,354, with 4,850 people injured and 220 missing.

Rescuers have saved 653 survivors trapped under the debris, the paper added.

The updated number of deaths comes as a former official at the US Agency for International Development (USAID) said three workers who had travelled to Myanmar to help rescue and recovery efforts were this week told they are losing their jobs.

"This team is working incredibly hard, focused on getting humanitarian aid to those in need. To get news of your imminent termination - how can that not be demoralising?" Marcia Wong told Reuters.

More from Sky News:
Why the earthquake was so destructive

Teens trapped in rubble record their ordeal

Ms Wong said the terminations will take effect in a few months. She said she is still in contact with remaining USAID staff and found out about the terminations after an all-staff meeting on Friday.

Donald Trump's government pledged at least $9m to Myanmar after the earthquake, but the administration's massive cuts to USAID have hindered its ability to respond.

The Trump administration has fired nearly all USAID staff in recent weeks, after the Elon Musk-led Department of Government Efficiency slashed funding and dismissed contractors.

Former USAID staff say most of the people who would have coordinated the Myanmar response are among those let go, while third-party partners have lost contracts.

Sky News

(c) Sky News 2025: Number of deaths from Myanmar earthquake rises - as US aid workers 'laid off' after arriving

More from World News

Follow Us On Instagram!

Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!

Weather

  • Sun

    14°C

  • Mon

    14°C

  • Tue

    15°C

  • Wed

    13°C

  • Thu

    15°C