Hundreds of names removed from official Gaza war death list

Saturday, 5 April 2025 09:01

By Ben van der Merwe, digital investigations journalist

Gaza's health ministry has removed 1,852 people from its official list of war fatalities since October, after finding that some had died of natural causes or were alive but had been imprisoned.

The list of deaths currently stands at 50,609 following the removals. Gaza's health ministry records do not distinguish between civilians and combatants.

Almost all of the names removed (97%) had initially been submitted through an online form which allows families to record the deaths of loved ones where the body is missing.

The head of the statistics team at Gaza’s health ministry, Zaher Al Wahidi, told Sky News that names submitted via the form had been removed as a precautionary measure pending a judicial investigation into each one.

"We realised that a lot of people [submitted via the form] died a natural death," Mr Wahidi said. "Maybe they were near an explosion and they had a heart attack, or [living in destroyed] houses caused them pneumonia or hypothermia. All these cases we don’t [attribute to] the war."

Others submitted via the form were found to be imprisoned or to be missing with insufficient evidence that they had died.

Some families submitting false claims, Mr Wahidi said, may have been motivated by the promise of government financial assistance.

It is the largest removal of names from the list since the war began, and comes after 1,441 names were removed between August and October - 54% of them originating in hospital morgue records rather than the online form.

Mr Wahidi says his team audited the hospital data after receiving complaints from people who had ended up on the list despite being alive.

They found that hospital clerks, when operating without access to the central population registry and lacking full names or dates of birth for the dead, had marked the wrong people as dead in their records.

In total, 8% of people who were listed as dead in August have since been removed from the official death toll. Many of those may later be added back in, as the judicial investigations proceed.

'It doesn't look like manipulation'

Gabriel Epstein, a research assistant at US thinktank The Washington Institute for Near East Policy, said there's no reason to think the errors are the result of deliberate manipulation intended to inflate the share of women and children among the dead.

"If 90% of the removed entries were men aged 18-40, that would look like manipulation," he said. "But it doesn’t look like that."

Of those entries removed since the start of the war and whose demographic information was recorded, 41% are men aged 18 to 60, while 59% are women, children and elderly people.

By comparison, 44% of remaining deaths are working-age men. This means that the removals have had the effect of slightly reducing the share of women and children in the official list.

Names were previously added to the list without verification

Until October, Mr Wahidi said, names submitted via the online form had been added to the official list of registered deaths before undergoing a judicial confirmation process.

The publication of unverified deaths submitted via the form had previously led to issues with the data, with 1,295 deaths submitted via the form being removed from the list prior to October. This included 474 people who were later added back again.

Sky News previously understood that names from the form were only published after undergoing judicial confirmation. However, Mr Wahidi says this practice only began in October.

"This does cause me to downgrade the quality of the earlier lists, definitely below where I thought they were," said Professor Michael Spagat, chair of Every Casualty Counts, an independent civilian casualty monitoring organisation.

Read more:
Analysis: Gaza aid workers' deaths
What happened to the ceasefire?

A Ministry of Health document from July 2024 confirms that names submitted through the online form were, at the time, included in the official fatality list before being verified.

These names "are initially included in the final count of martyrs, but verification procedures are undertaken afterward", the document says.

"They basically said that they were posting these things provisionally pending investigation," said Prof Spagat.

"There may have been literally zero people, including us, who actually absorbed this message, but they weren’t hiding it either."

More than 1,200 Israelis have been killed in the 7 October attack and ensuing war.


The Data and Forensics team is a multi-skilled unit dedicated to providing transparent journalism from Sky News. We gather, analyse and visualise data to tell data-driven stories. We combine traditional reporting skills with advanced analysis of satellite images, social media and other open source information. Through multimedia storytelling we aim to better explain the world while also showing how our journalism is done.

Sky News

(c) Sky News 2025: Hundreds of names removed from official Gaza war death list

More from World News

Follow Us On Instagram!

Subscribe To Our YouTube Channel!

Weather

  • Sat

    17°C

  • Sun

    14°C

  • Mon

    13°C

  • Tue

    14°C

  • Wed

    13°C